Wednesday, August 3, 2011

ENT 1 year check up

Our appointment this morning went great! Eli lost it when the intern looked in his ears, but luckily Ive had to do the "hold" enough times that I know the drill and how to hold him still while everything in his body is trying to squirm! Poor kid! When she asked to look in his ears I almost wanted to say no because I knew he would loose it. I was right, he did. I was relieved though when Dr.Eksteen came in and he asked if everything was okay, and if Eli was okay. I explained that he was 2 years old and that probably had more to do with the fit than anything else. Well, he pulled his special glasses down and started whispering to Eli, "Eli, Im going to use my special glasses to look in your ear. I think there might be a squirrel in there, so I need to see if I can see him okay?" He peeked in his ears, didn't stick anything in them and just used his glasses that he had! Meanwhile, he continued to whisper to him telling him he could see the squirrel in his ear! Then once he was done in the one ear, he said "Oh, Eli guess what!? The squirrel jumped into the other one, could I take a peek in the other ear for him?" No crying, no issues, no screaming, completely calm, and just listened to Dr.Eksteen whispering to him!

The Verdict?! One tube is still visibly there, and the other has probably come out. He couldn't see it because of some wax, so he is assuming that that one has probably fallen out. We go back in 6 months for another check up because ear infections usually peak over winter, so we'll see what happens. If there is a family history of ear infections (which there is) there is about a 30% chance the tubes will have to be put back in! We'll see what happens. He also mentioned that usually by around age 7 kids will grow out of the ear infections!

Again, after another appointment, I just feel so blessed that we were referred to Dr.Eksteen. He is one of the best doctors I have ever seen in my life, and is so caring & considerate!!

No comments: