Monday, March 4, 2013

Verdict is...

Last week was one that Ive been somewhat looking forward to and feeling anxious about for quite awhile.

On Wednesday, we headed off to the Stollery to see Dr.Eksteen, to find out weather or not Eli's tubes are still in his ears. Going into the appointment I was hoping and praying that Dr.Eksteen would be willing to look in Judah's ears, as well as consent to take him on as a patient, even though he's not accepting new patients.

Upon walking in, we had been waiting for an hour already for our appointment. I was feeling extremely nervous and anxious, and Eli asked if Dr.Eksteen would look in Judah's ears first. This was perfect because it opened up the conversation about my concerns with Judah's ears. He did in fact look in his ears, and tell us that they look clear and he didnt have any concerns. He said he would be more than willing to take Judah on as his patient and he'd look in his ears when Eli comes in for check ups. This was joy to my ears, and something that I had been praying for since the ear infections started getting worse for little Judah.

After he looked in Judah's ears, it was Eli's turn. Eli did great. He sat on my lap and did not make a fuss about it. This is a far difference from the little boy we used to have to hold down to let any dr look in his ears. The verdict . . . on the right side the ear drum looks great, white and normal, however there is wax and some gunk blocking half of it and he couldn't see if the tube was in there or not. The left ear, the tube is still fully in!! Less than 1% will have this happen where the tubes dont come out!! Eli did great, I was so proud of him. He didnt put up a fight about it at all.

So, because the tubes are there still he needs surgery to get them out. The concerns with leaving them in for any longer is that once they do fall out, the ear drum will view the hole like a piercing and not close up. This leaves it open for bacteria and infection.

The surgery itself takes all of 10 minutes, and he will need to be put under. It was originally booked for April 5th however thats the date of the ladies retreat with the church and Andy would really like me to go. He said I was still going despite Eli getting surgery the day that Id leave, so I called and see if I could change the date. Low and behold, there was a cancellation for  . . . Friday. Not next friday, or 2 weeks from Friday like in 4 days Friday! March 8th. I suppose theres no sense in putting it off if they have an openning for him.

Im hoping more than anything we have a super early spot because he has to fast for 12 hours, and I dont want to have to confuse him by not allowing him to eat.

I remember when we had the surgery for the tubes to be put in. He was just over a year old, and it seemed easy then because he didnt understand and had no idea what was going on. Eli knows the hospital now, and asks alot of questions. When I carried him into the operating room I remember holding him tight while the anesthesiologist held the mask to his face and then he just went limp in my arms. One minute he was kicking and screaming and the next just limp. The nurse and doctor reassured me he was okay and walked me out. All I remember was crying and feeling like I was going to faint, and like I could barely breath.

When I found out he'd have to get the tubes out I decided I couldn't take him into the operating room, not after the first time doing it. But now as I think closer to Friday I just feel like, Im his mom and need to be there with him. To tell him it'll be okay and we'll be close by him.

In no way do I worry about the actual surgery or anything going wrong, its the moments leading up the it, and putting him under. Dr.Eksteen has told us that he wont be in any pain afterwards and wont even know what happened.

We dont plan on giving Eli any details about whats going on before the surgery. No point in making him anxious. He'll probably pick up on my anxiousness anyway.

So if on Friday you think of us, please say a little prayer.
 Thanks!!!

Finally, at 7 months old, Judah bear is cutting 2 teeth!! Both are coming in at the same time on the bottom!! He is drooling like crazy and is super miserable! I didnt notice them till Saturday but looking closely their there, and on their way up! Hopefully they continue in the upward direction!

Judah is also almost got the whole crawling thing down. He has been scooting backwards (army style!) for the longest time, but now he is getting the forward crawling dynamics down! And has no problem crawling and then sitting himself up! He is so much happier now, or at least seems content that he can move around a bit!!

This month things have really picked up with lia sophia. Im trying to work towards some incentives, and that means booking some shows. Im so excited about the opportunities its giving me, and Im not going to lie, its so nice having something else to think about and focus on other than being at home, and with my kids! Ive always been skeptical of direct sales stuff but I feel like this door opened for me at a perfect time and is so exciting!!

If by chance your interested in hosting a show, please let me know or ask any questions!! The hostess bonus's are awesome and include free jewelry!! Cant really go wrong in my opinion! When I did my party before I started or even considered selling LS (lia sophia) I was able to get close to $800 in free jewelry!! Such a great feeling!!

1 comment:

E. Tyler Rowan said...

Hey Karla,

I have walked my son into the operating room more times than I can count - each time with tears (sometimes his, sometimes mine, often both). Here's what I say to myself as I walk away from my sedated child...

"This is for his good and well-being. He is not traumatized, but simply upset. I am a good mom doing what's best for my child. He will be okay."

And now, as he nears his 15th birthday, I see the truth in it. He doesn't remember dozens upon dozens of times in the OR. He's not afraid of doctors' offices or moving dental chairs or medical people. He doesn't scream bloody murder when having his blood drawn or blood pressure taken. None of those things that I saw as "trauma" when he was young are still present in my teenager.

So glad you'll be at the retreat! I will see you there. :)