Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Wednesdays

I love Wednesdays! Its half way through the week which is great! But on Wednesdays we go to Heartland church and do bible study! They have child care and Eli loves it! So for 2 hours in the morning I get to sit and talk with other woman without a baby! We get home around 11:30a.m, and Eli is ready for his nap. Usually he'll sleep for 2 hours! So not only do I have the morning to myself but all he wants to do when we get home is sleep! Its great!

The women that I've built awesome relationships with at Heart 2 Heart are incredible! They're older than me, and their kids are a year or more older than Eli but I feel like they're willing to give any advice when I ask, and they are such an incredible support system! I wasn't sure at the beginning of H2H how it would work out, but I'am so blessed by these ladies! AND I have to mention the number of women that are pregnant at H2H is incredible! I think there are more pregnant woman than not! One Wednesday I looked around and I could count 8 pregnant ladies and that was just that I knew of! Insane! Which brings me to my next thing . . .

No I'm not pregnant, dont even think it!! After I had Eli I was blown away by how helpful the nurses were that supported me! I have grown this passion for pregnant ladies, and I just want to help in some way. Being a nurse is not an option as I would have to upgrade a ton. The fact of being responsible for someones life as well (administering drugs, etc) makes me nervous BUT what about being a Doula?? For those of you who dont know what a doula is it is a support person, and someone who assists during birth!

I've found an online training website that looks awesome! The website is: childbirthinternational.com I've compared this training to other schools/courses and I feel this is the best one for me! I've done alot of research and talked to alot of moms about their experiences with their doula and I am beyond excited to do this! I'am going to take 3 courses: Birth Doula, Postpartum Doula, and breastfeeding counsellor course! I have up to 3 years to complete these courses, so I can do it at my own pace! I feel so excited, and everytime I see a pregnant woman, a baby, or a mother nursing her baby I feel like there is something inside me that ignites!
Growing up I've always wanted to be a mom and a wife. My mat leave is up on May 15th, and Andy and I have decided that we're going to do what we have to do in order for me to stay home with Eli. I feel this is the most important job that I can have at this point in our lives! Now that I'm a wife and a mom I feel like becoming a doula and supporting other wives, moms, possibly young teens is something I'm being called to do! I'm not sure when I'll start my courses, maybe once we have the money saved up but I cant wait!!

Once I start my training I will also need a number of hours of hands on work, so that means attending births, postpartum work, aswell as breastfeeding counselling... weather that be through e-mail, phone, and face to face it all counts! If you know of anyone who might be interested in helping me out I would really appreciate it! Please give them my e-mail address: Karlaandandy@hotmail.com



1 comment:

Mandi said...

Hey Karla,

LOVE LOVE LOVE the blog. I check it out like everyday before I start work. It is so nice to be able to catch up on what the Hope Family is up to.

I love the doula thing!! I think you would be so awesome at it, and it seems that you are really passionate about it. It is like me with my course I am doing right now. It was something that I am really passionate in, probably won't do much with, but it is the thrill that I get from it. I already feel like I have learned so much. I think you should definately do it if you are that interested in it.

talk to you later, love you guys lots.