Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Advice

I have a headache today, and feel tired. Maybe I feel defeated. I dont know. Here's our Eli & sleeping situation over the past day or so.

Yesterday, he had one nap in the morning, no nap in the afternoon. We got him ready for bed around 7:00P.M, he was in bed and screaming by 7:30P.M. Oh did I mention that yesterday for his nap at 10:30a.m, he cried until he threw up again!? Yup. Gross. So back to bedtime. In bed by 7:30P.M, and screaming. I decided I wasn't going to get him up after he was put down to bed. He only had one nap all day, and there is no reason why he should be up past 7:30P.M. He would sit up in his crib screaming, and I would lay him down and say "Please, lay down Eli. Its time to go to sleep." He'd sit up, and we'd do this over and over. Finally I left the room, as he was screaming. Andy went up and tried to calm him. I tried swaddling him, nothing. So finally, Andy put his ear plugs in so he could study, and I came downstairs to listen to him scream. It finally got quiet, and he was asleep.

I had a few people give me bit and pieces of advice. Here is some of them!

1) He's getting older, and doesn't need as much sleep.
I really was starting to think this, and question myself aswel as if I know my son and his needs. Maybe he doesn't need as much sleep as before, he is almost a year. This morning however I realized this is not true. I need to trust my instincts. My first thought is maybe this is happening because he is overtired!! On our way to the church this morning, he was in the car for less than 10 minutes and he was already asleep... after being up for less than 2 hours this morning!! He is tired, and does need his sleep! As his mom I know whats best for him, and should never doubt my "gut" feeling.

2) He's getting something out of crying until he throws up, let him sleep in it for 4 or 5 nights and he'll stop!
 Okay, I know what your thinking. LET HIM SLEEP IN HIS THROW UP!? Thats horrible. Yes I feel that way too, however the past 4 nights he has been getting something out of crying until he throws up. We get him up, so he can play downstairs for an hour or so or until he tells us he's ready to go to bed. Uh, who's the boss here!? Andy and Karla, or Eli!? For the past 4 nights Eli has been, but not anymore! I dont think I'll let him sleep in his throw up if he continues to do it, but I will go upstairs change his p.j's, his sheets, and put him back down to bed. A few nights of this and him realizing that crying before bed doesn't get him anywhere and I have a feeling maybe he'll stop. He's smarter than we think!!

Those are the 2 biggest pieces of advice I have gotten, from many many people! We'll see how it goes!

Some awesome news to tell you! We found out this week that our car payments are done! We thought we had another few months, but we had a phone call this week letting us know that our last payment was this month, and we no longer owe anymore money!!? Awesome, and Praise God! How cool is that!?

Also, I just found out that we will be receiving $300 more back on our taxes than we were expecting!? God is so faithful I just cannot get over it! We're so blessed.  God says "Ask and you will receive." And while we think we always know what is best, and we ask for some crazy things, God will continue to bless you in one way or another, even if you ask for something and dont receive it right now. I'm so thankful!

1 comment:

Denise said...

Wow, that's so hard when they cry that much! Kylar was a really big stinker when it came to sleep too (actually he still hates going to bed!), and it makes life so difficult! I would certainly agree with you that he still needs those naps and long nights, he's probably too young to switch to one nap a day. Also, I think making sure he doesn't get the reward of throwing up = more awake time will be a help... so there are two things I could suggest. There is a book called The Wonder Weeks http://www.thewonderweeks.com/ which might give you some insight as to why he might suddenly have become a "bad" sleeper. He might have done a huge developmental leap that is mentally throwing him for a loop. I found that book helpful when Amara seemed to be really acting differently. You can get it at our local library. Also, if you find you just can't let him do the crying out thing, you could try the Baby Whisperer's method. It takes some patience, but does seem to be effective and doesn't ever leave the child alone to scream it out. Sometimes though, there just doesn't seem to be any other way :( I hated doing it with Kylar (I would sit on the couch and cry), but they need their sleep, so it's hard to know what else to do. You are a great mom. Regardless of what you decide, he knows he is loved and well cared for. You guys will survive this :)

*Hugs*