Friday, June 4, 2010

Doula work & Braces

I've been having a really difficult time getting motivated for my studies! Excuses, excuses right? Here they are.

Eli hasnt been napping as long as usual so by the time I tidy the house up, shower, and get ready for the day he is awake. At the end of the day after we put Eli down, I'm pooped. I just want to zone out and spend time with Andy! Yeah I know, lame excuses right?

I have one birth booked for August, which really isnt that far away and while it motivated me at first I'm feeling like I'm stuck at this point! I owe it to my back up doula to know what Im talking about and be prepared in case she needs me! Which takes me to my next thing. A doula bag. As a doula there are certain things I should have prepared and with me. Not just for my client, but for me. A birthing ball, ice packs, a snack and a water bottle for myself, maybe some unscented massage oil, etc... there is a website online that will send you your doula bag all ready to go but it cost some $200. I suppose at this point I've jumped in and now I need to just do it. I feel like I also owe it to Andy, since we paid for it... I need to get on it! Laziness maybe.

Yesterday, I went in for a consultation at the orthodontist. For those of you who know me, you might be thinking that my teeth arent that bad. No their not. Both of my sisters had braces, and their teeth were bad! They had almost the same mouths, and same teeth and so on the braces went. For me though, I sucked my finger (yup I did!!) so I have an overbite. All I can remember is sitting on the small bus in kindergarten and a girl by the name of Chelsie telling me "Your going to have buck teeth if you keep sucking your finger!!!" Yeah, well I dont have buck teeth but I do have an overbite. And I didnt know this either but my teeth really dont line up. Basically my top teeth are one whole tooth ahead of where they should line up with the bottom teeth. Which means . . . I'd have to get 2 teeth pulled on the top, and then braces put on. Wear those for 2 years, and then a retainer after that. And for a hefty price of . . . lets just say you dont want to know. Alot!! Like ballpark range of over $7500! And even better that Andys benefits dont cover orthodontic work unless you 19 and under, only 3 years off. So frustrating. But lucky for me,  I have a very supportive husband who is behind me 100%. He said if I want to get them I can, but he's not going to try and talk to me into it. So this is where I decide if I want to get them or not. It'd be alot of work, but if I'd be more confident in myself, maybe its worth it. At the same time my teeth are not all that bad, but if I'm self concious of them now, is that going to change 5 years down the road?

Being an adult is expensive.

No comments: