Monday, July 5, 2010

Out of Character

You might've learned at this point something about me... well maybe a few things, but one of them being I'm a pushover. Too nice, I let people walk all over me.

Today I did something out of character! I have to get this off my chest, because its something that has been bothering me for too long and I'm tired of it!

As my mother in law and I were walking into Sears today there was a shoe sale going on outside the door. This made the area quite congested with people (mostly older woman, a few of them being seniors) as my mother in law and I went to head into the store she was pushing the stroller and I opened the door and held it for her. After she went in I held the door for a few people coming, a few being 3 or 4. Out walked the first one, not even a smile let alone a thank you. Out came the second one . . . same thing, and same with the third and fourth!! I couldn't believe it! I was well beyond shocked by the time the second person walked through without acknowledging me or even saying thank you. So I reacted. "You're welcome!" "You're welcome!" "You're Welcome!" One of the ladies looked at me like she was blown away that I would give her attitude as she walked out the door! What happened to being thankful and respect!? My mother in law said to me, "Oh, did they say thank you?" I simply replied "Nope, not one of them... thats why I said 'you're welcome.'

About a month ago, Andy and I were out for a walk with Eli in our neighborhood, we came across an older couple walking on the same side of the sidewalk as us... we pushed the stroller down the curb so they could stay on the sidewalk and continue walking. Not even a thank you, a smile or did they even acknowledge that we existed!! I was blown away! I get really tired of older people & seniors saying how the younger generation is so rude and disrespectful... yes there are alot of people who fall into the category that alot of seniors are talking about, but there are alot of younger people who do not! Not all young people are rude, disrespectful, screw ups! I feel thats what alot of us are labelled!

Two weeks ago as Andy and I were talking down Whyte Avenue we were walking behind a young couple... yes young couple, probably about our age, maybe a bit younger. They had been munching on some candy and the girl passed the wrapper to her boyfriend to toss into the garbage. Instead of throwing it into the garbage, which is on about every block he simply dropped it on the ground and kept walking. I quickly picked it up and said "Excuse me, you dropped this." They stopped as I handed it to them, and he said "Oh did I!?" And I said, "Yeah." And we kept walking. Call me fiesty, but how lazy can you be!?

I'm just so sick and tired of how disrespectful people can be... young and old! What happened to holding the door for someone in front of you who is pushing a stroller, especially someone who has a child and knows what its like to struggle to hold the door open as you push your stroller through?! Andys told me before that when he is out with Eli pushing the stroller around people treat him differently because he is a man pushing a stroller instead of a woman. Seriously!? What happened to saying thank you to the person who holds the door for you, or lets you go ahead first?! What happened to throwing your garbage into the garbage can instead of dropping it onto the ground!? I dont get it! I honestly dont!

Is it only me that feels this way!? Am I over reacting!? I've decided that from now on, I'm not going to let people walk all over me, I'm not going to let people take advantage of me, or treat me like dirt! Theres a difference between standing up for yourself & not letting people walk all over you and being rude and disrespectful back.

Any thoughts??

2 comments:

Katherine said...

I agree completely. I get treated like dirt alot simply because im a young blonde girl. Either i'm a trouble maker, or a bimbo, a fake skank... the list goes on. And then there are those people who are just plain disrespectful. It makes me angry too. You're not alone on that one! And i don't think you're over reacting at all either.

Unknown said...

I've experienced that before. It's annoying. I try to be as courteous as I can to people, but alot of the time they dont notice. But sometimes they do. Sometimes it's a young person and sometimes its someone older. I also notice on the train and the bus all the time, people who wont get up for a senior or a mother with kids to sit down. they will just stare at them and not move. one time i got up for a lady and her tot to sit down, and right after i got up a teenage brat sat down, so i snapped and said "hey that lady is going to sit there get up and move" and sure enough he did but not before giving me a nasty look. the lady said thanks and sat down. I don't know what happened to society, but I wish people would have a little common deciency to one another.