Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Mommy Issues

These days Im not really enjoying being a mom. Im not going to lie.

Eli's only 15 months and the attitude he's developed just seems to get under my skin. Im having a hard time figuring out the line of him being defiant or just being a 1 year old. Or maybe its the same? Im also having a hard time figuring out what constitues having a time out or not, and what are the guide lines of having a time out. Im going to start putting him in his room for time outs so that he's off by himself, not starting at me screaming. But do I leave him until he stops his fit, or do I leave him for just a few moments, how does it all work?

I know I've mentioned it before but this food issue we have! I know with kids its an on going issue probably till they move out, but Im starting to get really frustrated. Everyone has their two bits of advice (which I dont mind) but I feel like we've tried everything in the book. "He'll eat when he's hungry." or "If he doesnt want to have his supper at supper time, give it him for his bedtime snack." or "Let him go hungry over night and he'll eat." Well those are all fine and dandy but then Im the one who has to deal with a cranky, hungry kid who wont eat, and if he doesnt eat before bed, he wakes up upset and hungry in the middle of the night!! I just dont know what to do! He used to do really well, and now we're stuck with banana's, peanut butter toast, yogurt, watermelon and then unhealthy snacks. Just what a kid needs right!?

So between the attitude issues, and the eating issues being a mom is not fun these days. He has a runny nose and cough, isn't napping well because he cant stop coughing and doesnt want to eat.

Very very frustrating. Am I the only one!?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hey karla, what Eli, (and you for that matter) is COMPLETELY normal. Lexi went through the same thing. with time outs, i did it for as long as her age, so 1.5 yrs, i did 1.5 minutes, and if she leaves before the time is up it restarts. and then after its over, help him calm down, adn explain as to why he had a time out, adn what was naughty about waht he did. and the eating issues. I remember there was times, it was like ALL Lexi would eat was crackers, I couldn't get her to eat anything else, she would only eat Crackers, and i was super concerned, but it's normal. and like everyone else says, he will eat when he's hungry. It just gets to the point and you'll want give him anything you can to make sure he's eating that is somewhat healthy. It WILL pass, I can promise you!