Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Funny Little Things

A few weeks ago, Eli did something that I felt deserved a time out. I dont remember exactly what, but off he went to his time out spot. He sat there for a minute or so, and I went and sat on the floor with him. I asked him to say "Sorry" to mommy, and he looked directly away from me. I repeated myself and asked him to say sorry once more, he turned his head and look the other direction.

You might be thinking, "Maybe, he doesnt know how to say sorry?!" Oh yah he does. Listen to this. A few days after this time out experience where he refused o apologize to me, we were in the bathroom after he went pee on the potty, we were headed out the door when he walked right up to me hit me on the leg and then said "Sorry!" before I even reacted. What!? I couldnt believe it!

Well this afternoon, as I was getting Eli ready for his nap I had to run downstairs to get his teddy. I came back upstairs and smelt a familiar smell. I found him playing in my closet hiding from me. He had pooped in his diaper... I was surprised because he had already gone poo on the potty once earlier today, but since I was downstairs he couldnt tell me that he had to go. Anyways, I put him on the change table to change him and he winds up and hits me "Ouch, Eli! We dont hit! That hurt mommy!!!" I said sternly. He started to cry. Then I said to him "Eli, did you poop in your diaper?" He said "Yaaaah." and then said "poo poo.... potty." (which actually sounds more like poddy) Then I said "Yes, we do go poo poo on the potty, thats right Eli." Next, he looked directly at me and said "Sorry." and he kept repeating sorry over and over. This kind of made me feel sad. He shouldnt feel bad for pooping in his diaper, and we've never told him that pooping in his diaper is wrong or bad, so Im not sure where he got this from. Regardless, I had to laugh.

Another thing he has also started doing... when we tell him not to do something he will go and put himself in time out. But his attitude is waay different than when we say "Go sit in time out." Last night Andy and I were sitting on the couch having a coffee, while Eli was playing on the floor in front of us. Eli walked up to andy's play station flicked the power switch on the back, and then pressed the power button on the front. Andy said, "Did he seriously just do that!?" Yes he sure did. Andy said to him "Eli we dont touch daddys playsation okay?" Eli looked at him, and walked himself over to his time out spot, plopped himself down and just sat there. No tears as compared to when we tell him to sit in time out. This wasnt the first time he put himself in time out without us telling him to, but its kind of cute. No crying, no tears, just sitting. Makes me wonder if we're being hard on him?

Eli is a pretty sensitive little guy, whenever someone raises their voice he becomes alarmed and cries. This weekend Andy and I were joking around/flirting and he started tickling me. I was laughing loudly, and telling him to stop (all while trying not to pee my pants!!) Eli stopped what he was doing, stood up and watched us and then started screaming, and the tears started flowing. Poor little guy was scared... we were shocked because we were having a good time and laughing and here he is crying his eyes out!

I cannot get over the amount Eli really picks up on, and how much he is talking. He spits words out like "Pocket, lock, sit, shoot (oops!!!!)" and the list goes on... guess we do really need to watch what we're saying!!

No comments: