Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Abstract & Me

Sorry that Ive kind of disappeared for a few days. Life feels like its been busy, and it has been! The next few weeks are a bit crazy, but we're quickly heading into April!

I have my last art class on Monday. Im a bit sad, and a bit relieved. For those of you who have followed you've read that I have been a little bit disappointed with the stuff Im actually learning... which is not a whole lot. But that being said it has been incredible getting out of the house on Monday nights for 3 hours to paint, and not think about anything. I really do enjoy the time Ive had for myself! This art class has also ignited a passion within me. I noticed abstract art where ever I go, and am starting to feel a bit more adventurous. Its been a huge learning process, and some of my paintings I hate, and some of them I love but its great! I even have a piece of art in my sisters place, which she says gets a ton of compliments. And just recently, our friends came over (who are recently engaged) and she asked me if I would do a piece for their house! Yeah I will! No pressure right?! So Im very excited. As I continue to paint, Ive had a bit of an idea come to mind that I think I might work towards for next year. Every year Edmonton has an Art Walk for one entire weekend. This is an opportunity to showcase your work, and even sell some of it, and get to meet other local artists. To be honest, I dont feel like Im "good" enough to put myself out there, but then the other side of the spectrum is... why limit myself? I figure that since the deadline for this year is coming up, I might work myself up to do it next year. Its a huge commitment too, a whole weekend - Friday, Saturday and Sunday. So we'll see! That being said... here are a few more of my paintings that Ive done.




Any thoughts or comments on them? Id appreciate any feedback! Im starting to play around with a varnish to put a gloss look over some of them. You cant see it, but the top one does have a fresh coat of varnish. That stuff is messy by the way!

So, what else has been going on in our lives? Ive decided that Id like to look for some part time work. I had emailed a few resumes out to some salon & spas, and even a tanning salon. Nothing came back, not one thing. And I was feeling completely disappointed. However, I feel like Ive found a different direction to go in. Something, Ive always considered but never tried it. Are you ready? Cleaning houses!  There are lots of adds online of people looking for someone to come in every week or two weeks to clean their house and you can make half decent money. I sent off a few emails, and I have two meetings set up with 2 different families just to check out their home and see if we "click". Im very excited about it, and I feel like God is totally blessing me with this opportunity! I enjoy cleaning, and feel like its therapy to a certain extent. And let me tell you, I can get so much done when I dont have a 2 year old hanging off of me. Its incredible!

For the past week, Ive been making a point of getting up early to spend some time reading my bible and praying. I cannot tell you how much Ive enjoyed it, and am cherishing this time. It used to be Id stay in bed until I have to absolutely get up (which usually means Eli is starting to whine in his crib, and has been awake for awhile) But the last week Ive had anywhere from 30 minutes - an hour + to have my devotions, breakfast, and get myself ready. Im finding too that both Eli and I are happier. I can go get him up once he's awake and Im ready to go, therefore I can spend more time with him and getting him ready. Ive made my "me" time, and Ive also had my time to sit and chat with God. I feel happier, more content, and just a better mom altogether! Its incredible!

So theres the update on my life. This weekend Im away on Saturday for a girls day with the moms group Im involved in. We're having breakfast, pedicures, shopping on whyte ave, and then dinner and hot tubbing in the evening! Im so excited, plus I get my hair done on Friday. At the rate Im going, I think its a good idea to make sure I get a job so I dont make up broke!

And lastly, I just want to say I love your comments. Its so easy to leave comments, and Im really trying to make a point of commenting on others blogs more often because its so encouraging. You have no idea how encouraging it is to have your comments, and feedback, plus it makes me want to write more and keep you more informed! So remember to comment, comment, comment!

Thanks guys!!

3 comments:

Denise said...

I wish I could afford to have you come clean my house - I'd even watch Eli for you while you cleaned if you gave me a discounted rate ;) and... good for you on the morning quiet times! I'm not successful at doing them often enough (my brain is mush in the morning), but if I can get one in while Amara naps, it makes my whole day so much better. And yes - comments are nice :) Thanks for leaving a few on my blog recently!

Jeremy, Lacy, Bethany and Cody said...

Hey Pretty Lady, I'm so glad that you've found something that you are passionate about. You can always send me one of your paintings! I've started getting up a bit earlier this week to do quiet times, and although I like my sleep I do agree with you that, my day goes alot better when I've had my devo. time, and had time to get myself ready. And I fell alot better about myself when the kids and I are atleast dressed before 10! Keep blogging, I love to read them even though it makes me miss you!! Love you!

Lindsay Bateman said...

karla your paintings are divine!!! so beautiful! i just love them all, keep believing and trusting in your gift, because you are amazing! i also love this post. reading it made me so happy...happy for you, happy for life, happy for the ordinary! no matter what amazing things are headed your way! love you!