Monday, April 4, 2011

Discipline

So I need some advice!!

Something that Eli has started doing is hitting. He doesnt usually hit other kids, but he does hit me, andy and himself. Today was very interesting. We had a great morning, and had so much fun. I was genuinely enjoying his company. We headed upstairs because he wanted to take a bath and I had some laundry and tidying up to do. While he was in the bath I cleaned the bathroom. Once he got out, he ran around naked for awhile, and I dont remember what set him off, but he was upset about something. He wound up and slapped me. I told him we dont hit in our family and that he needs to go sit in his time out spot. He proceeded to his time out spot and sat. After speaking to him, and telling him we dont hit, he got up and came back into our room. We were playing again when something set him off and he hit me for a second time. Back to his time out spot he went. There he cried for a few minutes until I went and spoke to him. This must've happened 4, or 5 times that he wound up and hit me, and he went back into his time out spot. Even after his time outs, he still would wind up and hit me. At one point we were playing, and I dont him to be gentle... what did he do?? He hit me! Then he gets even more upset and frustrated and his hands start flying and he'll whack himself in the face.

I dont know what to do because repeatedly telling him not to hit is not doing anything. I dont think that giving him a spanking because he is hitting is fair, but Im at my wits end at what to do?

Any ideas or advice as to how to get it clear to him that we dont hit. Andy doesnt hit me, I dont hit him, and Eli doesnt hit either one of us. Its not allowed... Help??

1 comment:

Lindsay Bateman said...

hey karla...sounds like someone is quickly approaching his 2nd birthday!!! i have read alot about this, and usually the biting, hitting behavior that is commonly seen at this age is due to them beginning to learn their limits, their cause and effect on behaviour and not having the verbal ability to speedily and readily express their immediate feelings. as frusterating as it may be, it is totally normal behavior. it is the way the learn...especially with the repetition. by repeating this same behavior over and over again, he is learning the predictability of this behavior and that by you and andy being consistent with his discipline he is learning that it is not acceptable. but again, repetition at this age is the way they learn and it may seem to feel like it's taking forever but he is learning in his own way. i think the key is being consistent and you and andy on the same page as to what happens when he engages in the behavior as to what the consequence is. their brain is growing so rapidly and forming these connections that the more consistent his learning is the more effective and efficient it will be. you guys are raising an amazing little guy...this is totally normal and means his development is right on track. as his speech develops more and more, combined with the predictable consequences you should definitley begin to see this behavior decrease. it will just take some time and tons of patience. you guys are amazing parents there is no doubt about that! keep up the awesome work! love you!