Tuesday, October 23, 2012

My boys


The last few weeks we've had a lot going on. The weekends have been quite busy as 2 weekends in a row Andy was away on the Saturday. The first weekend he went hunting with some guys from work and his brother and the following weekend he was at the church's mens retreat. This means that I was very busy, and the weeks felt quite long. Im looking forward to having a whole weekend with him home. Counting down the days.

A few weeks ago, I took Eli to the dentist for his first appointment ever. He did so awesome, and let the dentist look in his mouth, count his teeth, and do whatever he needed to do. I was so proud!! However, one of the questions the dentist asked me is if Eli sucks on his thumb or has a soother still. The answer is yes. He still has a soother. The dentist explained to me that we need to get rid of the soother right away as it's cause bite issues. He had Eli bite down, and it was evident to me that his jaw wasn't lining up properly. My mindset with the soother was that he wouldn't take it to kindergarten, and I wasn't too concerned about it. Its not like we were walking around in public with it.

 So after we left the dentist I told Eli as we walked through the mall just the two of us that the soother had to go. I explained why, and he wasn't very happy about it. After 3 days of procrastination, I decided enough was enough and the soother had to go. I was actually shocked at how easy it was. He didn't throw huge tantrums, or get overly upset about it, although he did ask a few times for it, but its been gone for over a week now and we havent had any issues with it. That being said he's started to wake up earlier than usual, and Im wondering if the soother being gone is one of the reasons why.




About a week ago now, Judah started coming down with a bit of a cough. At first it was a dry cough, more of hack, and then over the last few days its turned into a very wet sounding cough. His chest was rattling, and he was very wheezy. Yesterday morning I woke up and something told me that maybe I should consider taking him in to see the doctor. One of the things I love about our doctor (no not the fact that I have to wait usually 30-40 minutes in the waiting room...) is that I can call the morning that we have a problem, weather it be an ear infection, or my 11 week olds cold and I can get in the same day. This is huge for me, since Im used to going to a doctor growing up where we'd have to wait weeks to get in and see her. Pointless, really.

So I called yesterday morning and they got us in for 2:20pm. After our usual 30 minute wait in the waiting room we finally got to see her. Again, Im not complaining about the wait (that much!) because Ive started to take it into account that Ill be waiting that long, but the fact I can get in the same day is usually worth it! She listened to his chest, and back, and also heard his cough. The right side of his chest was worse than his left, and the verdict is: Bronchitis. She said if he gets a fever or its not gone in a week than to come back because it could progress to pneumonia. No antibiotics (thankfully!!) and we wait just a bit longer. Poor little guy. We also havent been sleeping well because he cant stop coughing, but finally last night he did great, and this morning it showed. He slept from 8:00pm-2:45am, and then 3:30am-8:00am. Today he also napped for 3 hours. Im crossing my fingers tonight will be good as well.

As for me, Im just trying to survive being somewhat sleep deprived, and still expected to live a busy life. Im sure itll catch up to me, but for the time being I continue trucking on.


Eli is also very excited for Halloween this year!!


1 comment:

E. Tyler Rowan said...

Here's what we used to do when one of our babies had a cough/cold... Put a large book (like the original Webster's Dictionary, 4" thick) under the crib mattress at the head end. Obviously, make sure it's still safe and not wobbly (we'd often use 2 books side-by-side to prop the end). There's something about laying flat that causes the pflegm (sp?) to aggravate their little lungs, and the partial upright position lessens the coughing.