Thursday, March 4, 2010

Affects of the media

While I dont want to feed into the media or give them any power over my family's life, its hard to ignore whats happening.

Currently my brother in law Johnathan and his ex wife Lisa are up for trial in the death of their 16 month old daughter, Summer.

I remember the day that it happened. I was in home sense looking for a wedding gift for our friend and my cell phone rang. It was Andy, he was very upset and said "Summer's dead." "What!?" I said. "Summers dead, she's dead?!" I dropped the things in my hand and ran out of the store to my car. I didnt know what to do. I called my dad crying. I had so many questions but there weren't any answers yet. I drove over to Andy's moms house. Andy's mom was leaving right away to go to Calgary to be with John. I barely got a chance to talk to Andy before he left for Calgary as well.

At first it was said to be SIDS. A funeral was planned. Mom and I drove to Calgary the morning of. I've never seen a little person so beautiful as Summer was. That funeral was the hardest funeral I've ever been to. She looked so peaceful. I can only believe that little Summer is in heaven, and that God knew what he was doing in all of it. He always has a bigger plan.

Eventually, toxicology results came back and it was determined that Summer had ingested methadone. John cleaned her mouth out, but apparently not all of it, and she died.

Now 4 years after Summers death both John and Lisa are on trial for manslaughter, negligence causing death, and failure to provide the neccisities of life. While its heartbreaking that Summer is gone and it could've been prevented, I think its equally as sad that the trial is 4 years later!

The trial started on Monday and will last 2 weeks. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and now Thursday there has been one thing or another in the media about it. I'll be honest, I read the paper, watch the news, and sometimes I'am flabergasted at the things people do, and the stories that are in the papers and on t.v. And had this not been my brother in law I would've read this story and been disgusted at the information on the page.

However, now experiencing the affects of the media first handedly on my family it is really hard. It is so frustrating because 50% of the information in the articles are incorrect! I laid in bed last night my mind going over and over the stories I've read, and the things that I know that the public hasn't learned. I laid in bed thinking about my brother in law (whom I dont know well, and have only met 3 times.) who is in solitary confinment in jail. My heart aches for him.

I decided to write the reporter who has been following Johns trial. My heart pounded, and I wasn't sure if I should press send, but I felt that it was right. The reporter replied, and of course in a kind manner defended everything she has written, but I now view the papers and new broadcasts with a different mindset. I ask that you keep in mind that often times only 50% of the facts are true and correct. The article or story is extremely biased. And finally, there is a family as well as close friends who are attached to each and every story. For this story: "Dead Girls Father tells Police he 'loved her like a son.' And for this story:, "Father charged in tot's drug death drunk in court" the family that is affect is mine. My husband, my mother in law, my sister in law, and the list goes on. My family!

For the next week and a half my last name and brother in law will be mentioned in numerous articles. And while I'am not condoning his actions or what happened to little Summer I continue to remind myself that he has to live with his actions and decisions that he's made for the rest of his life. That cant be easy.

I'm at a loss when it comes to requesting prayer because I dont know what to pray for. I can tell you what I pray for each day as we go through this hard time. Spiritual protection, God's will in all of this. More than anything I strongly pray for my mother in law. I cannot imagine how painful it would be to watch your son go through such a painful time, and not being able to help. Those are the things I pray for. Your prayers would also be appreciated.

2 comments:

Mandi said...

Hey Sweetie,

I am so sorry to hear what you are going through. I heard about John on the new this morning, on Lac La Biche radio station, and I thought that it was your bro-in-law.

I can't imagine what you guys are going through. You are in my thoughts. LOVE YOU LOTS

Anonymous said...

Karla, I can't believe what I just read. That is terrible news. And I don't know what to say. Tod