Saturday, March 20, 2010

Just Walk Across the Room


We're reading a book at Heart 2 Heart called "Just Walk Across the Room" by Bill Hybells. I read the first chapter a few nights ago, and was moved. Its basically about being obedient to God when he puts that whisper in your ear or a feeling in your heart. The first chapter talked about a man Bill met and how this mans life was changed by someone who walked across the room at a work meeting/party and introduced himself, and built a relationship with him. The 2 strangers became friends quickly, and both lives were changed. A muslim man became a Christian all because one man decided to walk across the room and introduce himself. How would their lives have been different if this man decided to not walk across the room.

A few years back when I was at a youth church service one friday night I looked around the room and saw 2 young men (maybe a few years older than me) and I felt the push of God to go over and speak to them. I ignored it, as this was a time in life that I told myself that chances are it was just me in my head thinking that I wanted to meet them. I continued to feel the push that I was supposed to go over and meet them, but also continued to ignore it. That night I didn't go and introduce myself to them.

 A few months later I ended up becoming friends with one of them. Jimi was his name. He had a friend named Andy whom he always talked about. About a year or maybe more after Jimi and I had become friends I met his friend Andy, and we clicked. It just turns out that Jimi and Andy were the 2 young men that I felt I was supposed to go and talk to. I was supposed to "walk across the room" and meet them. I wasn't obedient though.

Oddly enough, 8 years later I ended up marrying Andy, the man I was supposed to walk across the room and meet. Some days I wonder if it was still me thinking about how I wanted to meet these 2 guys. I also wonder though what heartache I could have saved myself or how would my choices and experiences have been different if I had listened. Would I have entered other relationships, and made decision in my life that I might regret? I find it interesting. How often do we have those "feelings" that I should go talk to that girl, or introduce myself to that couple and we ignore it? Whats the worst that could happen if we just "walk across the room" and take a chance.

 Also we watched a video on Wednesday morning that just completely moved me. Its a modern day story of Jesus meeting the woman at the well. For any of you who dont know the story, Jesus met a woman at the well outside of town and she was a prostitute. Watch the video, as this is a modern interpretation. It brought tears to my eyes.
Check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q49BbfgJbto

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. A good reminder to take that step when we feel a little nudge.

~Kris