Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Stepping Stones

I'm going to meet with a woman today from a non profit organization called Stepping Stones. I'd really like to do some volunteering and my passion is for new moms and moms to be! Stepping Stones works with pregnant and parenting teens. The ages of teens that they work with are anywhere form 13 (yes 13, thats right.) to 21! I was blown away when she told me 13... I couldn't imagine. But I'm very excited to hopefully get involved and build some relationships. I'm not too sure what to expect but I'm llooking forward to meeting people!

I had called the Terra association, which is also a centre for pregnant and parenting teens. The woman was down right rude to me. She told me that the Volunteer Coordinator had retired and they're looking for someone to fill the position, and to call back at the beginning of May. I asked her if there was anyone that I could speak to for the time being? And she told me quite rudely that there wasn't anyone. A part of me feels like "Why would I want to give my time to an organization that was rude to me?" I talked to the young woman who heads up Baby & Me at Parent Link, and she said that alot of non profit organizations are over worked and the staff often times are doing jobs that might not be in their job title. I asked her if I should be bothered to call and let someone know that I was treated rudely, and it will probably cause me to find a different organization to spend my time at. She said yes, however I dont think I'll bother.

Anyways, I'm very excited to go and meet with the lady from Stepping Stones! I'll keep you posted on how it goes!

Guess what! Remember those rocks my mother in law and I moved yesterday? Well I posted them on Kijiji, for free. Someone just has to bring a shovel, and a truck and take them away! Well I had over 15 replies to them! I'm thinking now I should've said someone could take them for $50! But a nice older couple e-mailed me and they live just down the road for us! I go walking past their crescent all the time! So they came by this morning, and looked at them and said they'll be back either later this afternoon or tomorrow morning! As they were walking away she turned around and said "Hey Karla, can I repay you with some flowers or something for you to plant in the front here?" How neat is that!? She said she has quite a bit of stuff around her yard that she can take a look at and give to me for payment! Neat how that works out hey?

1 comment:

Paige said...

check out this one too:

www.basicallybabies.org

Paige