Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Breastfeeding

As I've continued (slowly . . .) my doula course I've sure been learning alot. One of the things that I've been learning alot about is breastfeeding. It was a hard topic at first for me to read about, especially because I struggled for the first 3 months of Eli's life to breastfeed. I've thought alot about it, and what I would do different. How I wish I had struggled through it even more, because 1) the benefits are so incredible for the baby and 2) its cheaper!!

Working with teen girls at stepping stones, there are alot of girls who've just had their baby's. Lucky for me I've been getting to hold alot of newborns lately. The crazy thing is that I dont even remember Eli being as little as some of these baby's. Part of me doesnt even really remember how to hold a newborn at first because I'm used to throwing a kid on my hip and off we go! But it all comes back pretty quick! One thing I've noticed though is that the majority of these girls are not breastfeeding. Their baby's are less than 6 weeks old and they're already onto formula. It makes me feel really sad. One girl I spoke to yesterday was having some concerns with her baby because he's gettong constipated, and there is blood in his stool. He isn't even 4 weeks old. She switched the formula a few days ago because a public health nurse told her that he's colicy, and its due to the formula. So she put him on a new formula and his body is having issues adjusting to it. This is a huge concern because formula is not natural in any way shape or form! I even believe this, and I used formula for my baby!!

I think it comes down to laziness, that moms dont want to work and try to nurse. And it is a tough task to master, but I think once you do its very rewarding. The other thing I think I've heard a ton is, "I dont have enough milk, so I need to supplement with formula." There may be some women out there with real issues of not having enough milk, but its all about supply and demand. If you only nurse twice a day and use formula the rest of the time your body is going to think it only needs to make enough milk for 2 feedings. Supply & Demand. Thats why newborns cluster feed, is because they're trying to get mom's body to make more milk!

Its just something thats been on my heart lately, and something Im struggling to see. Its so sad to see little baby's constipated because they're on formula (and Im not saying breastfed baby's dont get constipated.... but its not as common!).

No comments: