Monday, August 23, 2010

Baby is Born!

Okay, so you are probably all wanting the details of what has happened over the past 24 hours!

My client didnt call me on Saturday night as I expected she would. We got up around 8a.m, and I still hadnt heard from her in almost 12 hours! I thought for sure she had had the baby and I wasnt a part of it! She texted me around 10a.m and said they admitted her into the hospital and had her on the pitocin drip.

I arrived at the hospital for around 10:30a.m to see what was happening. She was working through contractions well. She had her music on and the lights were dim. I wasn't too excited about the pitocin drip, because the nurses wouldnt let her walk around, so she was bed bound! The pitocin (induction method to speed up contractions) was making her contractions strong and hard. She went from 0cm to 3 cm in an hour after they started the drip, so she had a nurse check her shortly after I arrived. Still 3 cm. She was very disappointed, but kept working through. I massaged her shoulders, her neck, stroke her arm to help her control her breathing, kept a cold washcloth on her forehead, and breathed with each contraction so she would keep control. Around 2:00p.m, I said I was going to go to the bathroom and grab a quick bite to eat. I was gone all of 20 minutes and when I returned she had gotten an epidural. I guess her dr. checked her and no progress. Still 3cm! So she needed an epidural, especially since her water had broken so the contractions were stronger. She was able to relax, and her dr came in and talked to her. The baby's heart rate was quite high (sign of stress!) and to top it off there was moconium (baby's first bowel movement.) in her water so the baby had gone poop in uterus. This is a sign that the baby at some point recently was stressed out. Not a good sign. On top of the stressed baby and her failure to dialate, the de said she'd give her an hour to do some dialating.

The hour went by and she was check. 9 3/4 cm! Within 15 minutes after that she was ready to push. She pushed for 50 minutes and there was no progress and the baby was still showing signs of stress. So she had an emergency c section. Its not how I expected my first birth to go, but the baby was healthy and fine when it was all said and done.

For me, this worked out so well.  I had been praying that God would work out all the details and He certainly did! Considering, she went into labor early Saturday morning and I didnt have to head to the hospital until Sunday morning that was great! I didnt miss any sleep! Andy was at home to take care of Eli and all the little details were great! I felt awesome being there. It felt very comfortable and natural to help her through her birth! They thanked me and her husbands parents said they had heard such great things about how much I had helped them! It felt good to hear that!

Im not planning on taking on anymore births for the time being because andy is going to school soon, but eventually I will!

Oh and they ended up having a boy! 8lbs 3 oz, Ari Jordan.

No comments: