Sunday, September 12, 2010

Thank you Eli!

Thank you to those of you that prayed for us and Eli, because last night was great! I didnt hear a peep from him all night! He slept a solid 12 hours, and I also got a very solid sleep; thanks to a glass of wine (or two!) and going to bed early because I was anticipating having to get up in a few hours! But he slept right up until 8a.m! So thank you so much for your prayers!


This morning we went and tried out a new church. We've been there before, and decided to go back. They're childrens ministry isnt as developed as other churches that we've been too, as well as the nursery doesnt start until the sermon starts so we still have to keep the little guy occupied for the first half of the service. That wasn't so easy this morning because he was already getting tired by 10:30a.m, and I dont think he was feeling well. But once he was up in the nursery he was fine. I have to say there are some things about this church that are very different from what Im used to, but at the same time I met more people this morning (who introduced themselves to us!!) than I have going to the other church we've been attending for the past year. Makes me wonder about it. Do we choose a church that is large and we dont know as many people, but have 3 services in a week, a great childrens ministry, and I've met some great women there, or the smaller not as developed church, but the people are so friendly and I think we could easily build alot of great relationships?


Its hard to know what to do, and I feel like this is something we've been trying to figure out for the past year. It'd be really easy if God was just to say which one is best for us, but I dont think thats how this is going to work out. I think we need to make the decision and He'll bless our experience regardless... maybe in different ways, but either way we'll be blessed.


My long time family friend came to church with us this morning. Its such a blessing have a good friend (who you've known pretty much for forever!!) and its great when that person shares the same passion for God. The talks we have are awesome, we're very alike in some ways and in others very different! The past few weeks her and I have been spending quite a bit of time together and every time I feel like Im so blessed to have her! I always learn so much from her, and even when Im struggling with something I can sit down tell her and we'll pray together! Its incredible having a friend that you know is praying for you and cares! She also came over for lunch after and always the conversation over a good meal couldnt have been better! The last time she came over we had tacos and beer . . . special chili beer to go with tacos!! How awesome is that!? Im so blessed!!


This week is going to be busy! Volunteering, doctor appointment for Eli's ears (his 3 month check up of his tubes!) get together with friends, Heart to Heart potluck/kickoff, birthday dinner, haircut/color, and the list goes on! It will be good, but busy! Why do the weeknds seem to go by so fast?? Into another week we go!!

3 comments:

Lindsey Whitney said...

Just found the blog. Love the layout and pictures. I'm a work at home mom and I hear you with the church dilemma! We're in that place sometimes too. We've been attending our church forever.. since we were kids(now in our mid twenties) and we have solid relationships, but it's a SLOW growing church. It would be nice sometimes to go to a mega-church with a cafe and a booming children's program, and all that. But it feels like we have so much invested, we can't just "walk away".

E. Tyler Rowan said...

I absolutely understand your struggle! Having moved here from a large church, here's the one thing I can tell you about getting connected... In a larger church, connection doesn't happen in the foyer like it does in small churches.

To make those connections in bigger churches, the "new" person/couple needs to put themselves "out there" as new so people know. I know from experience that one can have an amazing sense of small community in a big church, but it's a matter of getting into those small groups (men's, women's, home groups, etc.).

We are working very hard to get "plugged in" at this new church, and are awaiting a small group. So if you're looking... :)

Karla said...

It is true its hard to meet people, and there are a million excuses in the book as to why we're not meeting people... like why should it be us putting ourselves out there, shouldnt it be members coming to us? Excuses, excsues...

Like Tyler for the small group, its been something thats on my heart for a long time but how will a small group work when it comes to having a small child? Excuses, excuses right?

I suppose in order to find a church and get comfortable it is true we do have to put ourselves out there!

Lindsey I'd love to chat with you more and get to know you!! Where are you from?