Friday, October 8, 2010

Play Time

All you parents out there, I need your opinion!

Eli and I went to a great program today called Stay and Play. Parents can bring their kids to basically hang out and play with lots of different toys and interactive things! Eli likes to go, and I like to talk with other moms. This morning it was a full house, with lots of kids and parents. At one point while all the kids were playing in the gym, a boy a bit older than Eli maybe 4 years old took a ball walked up to Eli and basically threw it at his head. Luckily, it bounced right off the back of his head and Eli was pretty much unphased. The mom told her son not to do that and we all continued on playing.

Later on we were in another room playing, and Eli was out of my sight. Next thing I know, I hear crying. Eli crying. I walked up and the same mom of the boy who threw the ball at Eli was trying to console him. I walked up and said "What happened?" She said, "Uh, well, my son hit him." I just picked him up and walked away.

One of my girlfriends has a son who is 3 months younger than Eli and she said this same boy had hit her son too. So at what point do I say something, and how do you say something without "starting something?" What I really wanted to say was "Your son threw a ball at Eli's head in the gym, and how he's hit him, I think maybe you need to speak to your son about playing with others."

Or do do I just leave it and not say anything? Im sure this is common when playing in public playareas but where do you draw the line, and whats okay and whats not?

1 comment:

Paige said...

Okay, so as the mother to six... I have been on both sides of this... I have had children who have been hit or bitten by other children (and as a mother you do get ticked off) but I have also have children who went through the hitting and bitting stage, and it is worse to be on this side of it. We have to be consistent with our kids when they do this, and eventually they figure it out, but sometimes it takes awhile for them to figure it out.

Eli may not be this kid... but be careful how you react, because your next kid just might be...