Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Angry Mom

Yesterday was one of those days. If your a mom or a parent you know what Im talking about. Let me explain though.

I generally am pretty proud of myself when it comes to spending all day with Eli. I encourage him, and praise him alot. Im not usually a yeller or an angry person. However yesterday at the end of the day all I could do was lay in bed and cry because I was so disappointed in myself.

It was one of those days. Eli and I went over to a friends place to watch her kids while her husband and her went out. Things started off really well, but after a bit he was so moody and whiney. Generally, he is really well behaved at someone else's house but everything was an issue. If the baby took a toy from him he would get upset, so I would gently give it back to him and he'd throw a fit because it was taken it away and then given back. He would get upset and whine if someone was playing with a toy he wanted, he would whine if I took one one of the boys to the bathroom, leaving him at the baby gate. He'd tell me he had to go poop only to get across the gate and run from me. He really just wanted go play in his friends room. So once back on the other side of the gate where he should be, he would throw a tantrum, throw a toy, scream, yell, you name it.

So after a few time outs, and him still whining and crying I told him if he didnt stop he'd get a spanking. And so when he didnt stop I had to follow through. I gave him a swift swat on the butt, and then proceeded with a time out. Well the spanking didnt change his attitude, and I continued to yell at him. I felt like all I did was yell. Halfway through the day I was feeling emotionally exhausted, physically, mentally, and the topper of it all... I was hungry. If my husband was there he would've asked me "Are you hungry?" and I would've answered yes and realized thats what was tipping off my anger, on top of a whiney kid, who had previously pooped on the floor before we left out house. It was one of those days. And like I said, all I could do was cry in Andys arms and feel like a horrible mother.

Im so thankful that those little guys are so forgiving and dont have a long memory, because if he did today would've been horrible. But its been a good day. We played at church this morning, and then came home for lunch (which was actually McDonalds.... shhhhhh) and then played outside. He loves being outside and going for walks, and we just played together. I didnt worry about the stuff laying around the house, or dishes that needed to be done, we just spent time together... and it was great!


1 comment:

E. Tyler Rowan said...

Ah, I sure do know those days. Sounds like Mr. Man wasn't too fond of Mommy paying attention to those "other" kids. ;) Love to you!