Saturday, April 16, 2011

Marriage

Ive come to a realization. Its about marriage. Im blessed and beyond lucky. Why do you ask? Im so blessed and lucky to have parents who modelled a healthy marriage for me and my sisters. Im also very lucky and blessed to have a husband that I love more than anything, and that loves me unconditionally... even when I have those crazy hormonal moments.

Over the past few months, Ive found out that a few couples we know are having some serious issues within their marriage. It doesnt get any easier to digest when you find out that news, that yet another couple is seperating or getting divorced. Each time it feels like a blow to my stomach. Why? Maybe because I took my wedding vows so serious, and for Andy and I divorce is not an option. Please dont think that I have the mindset that I am "Holier than thou" because I know marriage is tough and sometimes it really sucks! Yup, it does! But how does a couple go from getting married to being divorced or living apart in a matter of months or a year??

Ive been open about this before, but Andy and I have always said we will go see our marriage counsellor every 6 months to a year. We go weather things are tough or weather things are great! We leave feeling like we can take on the world... but together.

Having Eli was the biggest hurdle we've had to tackle yet in our marriage. Nothing can prepare you for the shock of having a child, and the adjustment and commitment it takes from both parents. But we've figured it out, and I can finally say that almost 2 years in from having Eli we have a healthy balance in our life!! We have a healthy balance in our marriage, and a healthy balance as parents, and a healthy balance as Andy and Karla.

This week is our 4th wedding anniversary. Andy I have been together for almost 8 years! I cant believe it. But I also cant believe how blessed Iam to have such an incredible man. He is so hands on as a dad, he is helpful around the house, and always willing to be there for me emotionally.

When I woke up this morning there were notes all around the kitchen. One on the counter, one in the fridge, and one in the bathroom. These are the little things that keep me going on some days. He is so thankful, and although some days he doesnt show it, he makes up for it on others!

Im so happy to say that although Andy and I dont have it all together, and there are days where we hate each other, we love each other with a love that isnt just skin deep. Its emotional, physical, and even spiritual. Without God I dont think we'd have lasted this long. Andy said this to me this morning... cheesy but I felt goosebumps when he said it. "When God created Adam, he created Even. When God created me, he created you." Yes I know, cheesy, but I do feel like Andy is the man planned for me. My choices and my path lead me to him, and that doesnt mean that there arent other men out there that I could be married to or make things work with, but Andy and I made the decisions that lead to each other and Im so blessed and couldnt be happier!

Happy Anniversary, Andy!

3 comments:

arnie&bekah said...

Happy Anniversary!! I love your commitment to each other!

Lindsay Bateman said...

oh how i love this....and how i LOVE that you are taking the time to document your life, your thoughts, your life story. xoxo you will be SO thankful you did. we also still need to schedule our scrapbook date!!! ;)

TorensMommy said...

Happy Anniversary!! I finally got signed up so now I can comment :). Your write up on Marriage was so touching. Reading your blog sure reminds me of my daily life with Toren. I am sometimes thinking "Wow - are our boys ever a lot alike". I can't wait for them to meet each other sometime soon.