Monday, July 11, 2011

Maybe I should be a plumber!!

Go ahead and laugh, but Im so thankful for a handy husband! Honestly, the handy men in my life mean so much to me... but especially my husband!!

For those of you that know us well you'll know that my dear husband is a plumber. He is also a jack of all trades as well! He worked doing landscaping, he did dry walling for some time, and the list can go on!

We're doing lots of work in our house and one of the things we're both antsy to get done is our basement. We want to make it more enjoyable for us, and right now its just an empty space that is being wasted. One of the reason's its being wasted is because the electrical outlets dont work down there. It can be a good thing when you have a 2 year old playing down there, you know he's safe and wont hurt himself!  But you cant do anything down there because there is no power! Well my brother in law is an electrician and came over on a whim (and last minute!!!) to help figure out the issue!! They figured it out and did it! There is power in the basement! Andy came home this afternoon and went straight downstairs to put in some new electrical boxes! He is so handy! I love it!! Now to do some drywalling, and new carpet and we're good to go down there for a hang out area!!

So after supper, andy went upstairs to go shower and I cleaned my house. Vacumned, and then to wash the floors. Before that I had gone to get groceries, and cleaned the fridge out. Bare with me, this is an important part of the story! While cleaning out the fridge I dumped some pureed vegetable soup in the toilet and continued cleaning. Then while I was vacumning I noticed I forgot to flush the toilet when I dumped the soup. So I flushed the toilet and it started doing its thing.... except it didnt go down it started coming up. "Oh no! Please, stop, dont overflow! Nooo, please no! ANDY!!!!!" My dear plumbing husband was in the shower and there was no point in yelling for him! "Eli, stay out of here, please!!" Then I ran upstairs into the bathroom "Andy, the toilet is clogged, wheres the plunger?!" "Downstairs." So I run downstairs, grab the plunger and go to plunge. except one problem. The toilet is overflowing already, and if I stick the plunger in it will overflow more. Really?! I then ran upstairs again and said "Andy, the toilet is overflowing everywhere, I need your help!!" He said "Shut the water off, and plunge it, Im coming downstairs." So I did that, and proceeded to stick the plunger in causing more water to overflow all over the place, but the toilet did unclog. I was completely stressed out, and then my dear husband helped to lighten the mood by saying "Well, you could be a plumber!! You did the exact 2 things a plumber does. 1) Turn the water off, and 2 unclog the toilet! Good job, Karla!" We had to laugh, and it helped to lighten the mood. At least it was just soup, and not other things over flowing the toilet bowl!

So, like I said Im so thankful for a handy husband who can walk me through how to unclog the toilet, fix electrical issues (with some help from our BIL) and last night he even finished one more step of the cabinets, by installing the toe kick!! I love my man!!

No comments: