Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Window of opportunity

When it comes to potty training, Ive heard a few things. Ive heard that for most kids there is a window of opportunity and once you pass that window up then it may be waay harder than before.

Im wondering if this is my window. As you probably know, Eli pretty much pooped trained himself when he was less than 18 months old. He did this on his own, without any encouragement or pushing from us!! You can imagine how surprised we were!! But its great, he sometimes has accidents in his diaper due to busyness or being distracted, but generally he'll come and tell me when he has to go, and off we go to the potty! Its great! I also attribute him poop training himself to the cloth diapers. Thats another story though!

So Ive brought out his little car's potty and have it hanging around, Eli is very busy but generally if he is being busy while butt naked he'll stop to go to the potty! This last week I was asking him quite often, and when he was naked (like I said!) he'd take himself to his little potty! This morning, Eli and I took a shower together, and as I was getting ready he was booking it around the bedrooms naked as can be, and next thing I know he comes running into the bathroom puts his potty seat up, sits down and pees!!! Then 5 minutes later he does it again! I was so shocked & proud!! He is not even 2.5, man, he is only 25 months old! Weather or not its true, I've heard boys can be harder to potty train than girls, so maybe I need to scoop up my chance and take a few days to do this for real!

He is definitely interested in wearing big boy underwear because when he gets dressed he asks for "undies". 

The hardest part is that because he is so busy, staying in the house for 2 or 3 days is almost unrealistic! He gets very bored and needs some sort of outside stimulation! But I suppose 2 or 3 days is nothing in the grand scheme of things!

So lets hear your potty training tips, and what worked for you!! I need some feedback, because I dont want to pass up this window of opportunity and regret being lazy! I think if anything its me thats not ready for him to be potty trained!!

3 comments:

Kelly Stoski said...

Noah was pee trained pretty quick....accindents only when he was too busy to stop playing. Poop was a two year battle, with another year of somewhat regular accidents. In my limited one-child expirience, you've already conquered the big one......go for it!
I however did not do the 2-3 days all or nothing approach. We did the pull up thing. Maybe that's why it took longer, maybe not. I just think Noah was too easy-going to care. Ryan is showing signs of readiness now, but I am not ready. When I think about it I wanna cry. So I hope the "window of opportunity" thing doesn't affect my choice to wait....til he's like 3 :)

Sarah said...

You should try and get your hands on a copy of the 3 day potty training book. If you're willing to stay at home for 3 days you'll have him potty trained in no time.

E. Tyler Rowan said...

I forgot to mention this on your FB post... Boys seem to really enjoy the fact that they can pee standing up. Take advantage of that. Get him a little stool so he's just the right height, and let him aim and shoot at a couple cheerios or froot loops in the big toilet. Have Andy stand beside him and they can pee together. It's super cool to them! (Also, if you're out and about while potty training, just bring the potty along. I always brought mine to the playground, lol!)