Monday, January 16, 2012

Midwifery

Andy and I have decided that this time around for baby #2 we'd like things to be very different. I dont know if I ever went into detail how traumatizing my labor & delivery was with Eli, but it was long, hard, and exactly what I didn't want in any way shape or form. Induction, 31 hours, epidural after 25 hours, vacuum attempt, etc. In the end Eli was alright, but the dr was concerned because his heart rate kept dropping. They were at the point where they were going to use forceps, and then start prepping for an emergency c section. Both of which I wanted to avoid, and did.

So this time around we have a midwife. I think there is a lot of misunderstanding about midwives, and how trained they are, as well as prepared.

"A midwife is a person who has successfully completed a midwifery education program that is duly recognized in the country where it is located and that is based on the ICM Essential Competencies for Basic Midwifery Practice and the framework of the ICM Global Standards for Midwifery Education; who has acquired the requisite qualifications to be registered and/or legally licensed to practice midwifery and use the title 'midwife'; and who demonstrates competency in the practice of midwifery."

I am so excited that I was able to find a midwife to take me into her practice, and the best part is she lives just outside of Sherwood Park. The drive to her house take me less than 10 minutes!! Love it!! My appointment with her last week was great! I spent over an hour with her talking, and going over my history, and answering any questions she has about my pregnancy now. She was encouraging, and listened to everything I had to say. Unlike how things are when you go to a dr's office, I didn't feel rushed, and I felt like she actually cared. That doesn't happen too often! My next appointment is in 4 weeks, and she encouraged me to bring both Eli & Andy so that they can be as involved as possible. I love that!

So as of today Iam 13 weeks and 2 days. Slowly but surely we continue on!!

No comments: