Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Little Beans Cafe - St. Albert

This morning my girlfriend and I ventured into St.Albert to a new little place called Little Beans. Its basically a cafe with lots of kids equipment, and a train set. If you've ever been to Cafe O' Play, its the same idea, but with very different play equipment. More climb on structures. Little Beans is smaller though. I was shocked to find out that St.Albert has 2 little Cafe's like this, where you can take your kids to play, and have a coffee. Edmonton has 1 that I know of, and Sherwood Park has none. Not one. This really surprises me.

Like I said, Little Beans is smaller, but Eli was very happy to climb, and go down slides, play with the train table, and they even have tiny little toilets in the bathroom that made going to the bathroom very easy for Eli. Price wise, it was about the same cost when it was all said and done. $7 to get in (although for the month of the March it is $6 to get in.) They had fresh baking which was really nice, $2.75 for a mixed berry muffin, which was still warm, and a good size, and $1 for a chocolate chip cookie. When it was all said and done for snacks, tea, juice box, and admission to get in I probably spent about $15. I do find that fairly expensive, especially if you go to a cafe like that a few times a week. But Eli was happy to play, and didn't want to leave. My girlfriend had come and gone, and Eli was still happy to be there. I finally had to drag him out around 12:30pm, because we needed to get home for lunch and a well needed nap!

One thing I found really hard with this place was because the play structures are tall its hard to keep track of your child. When it's busy (which it was!) it makes it a bit harder to 1) make sure your child is treating other kids and 2) make sure your child isn't getting beaten on by anyone else

Which brings me to my next thing. I need your advice/thoughts.

There were a few times while we were at little beans that Eli had some run ins with a few other kids. Eli is not a very aggressive kid, and quite sensitive. Generally, if someone upsets him he'll start crying, or get upset and come to me. There were 2 or 3 older boys, and 1 girl I can think of that caused a few issues. One of the first boys was older than most of the kids, probably 6 or 7. It was very clear that he was causing issues all around, and at one point picked up the train Eli was playing with, ran a few steps and then chucked it onto the ground. Another time Eli was climbing up a ladder, and this boy was at the top, this boy stood there kicking his foot in Eli's face.This was 2 circumstances that I saw and dealt with. The mother was watching him but not fully as she was with 2 other moms. Another little girl (who was with another mom from the same table) at one point turned around and hit Eli bang square in the face not once but twice, and when I went up to her and told her hitting isn't allowed, she ran away from me.

Here's the last example. There were 2 boys who were brothers who were quite aggressive. One walked up to Eli while he was playing at the train table and swiped the trains right out of his hands and started playing with them. Another hit Eli, and a few other kids. The younger boy out of the 2 (probably around 5) kept walking up to everyone's table trying to drink out of juice boxes, and take their food. The mother was sitting with another mom, and she looked like she was closing a deal (maybe selling pampered Chef, or something along those lines) as she had a calculator out, magazine, and an invoice. My concern with this example is that multiple times that I had to go over to supervise or speak to her sons, she watched me, or her son hitting another child, and went back to what she was doing, and then would come over a few minutes later to check on things.

I know every kid has personalities, some are more aggressive, some are more sensitive. When you play in a public play place like this, you have to expect your going to run into confrontation with other kids. It happens. Even as adults we have confrontation with other adults but obviously we know (or most adults do at least!!) how to handle them appropriately. But here's my question. In a public play place like this where the parents are required to supervise their child, and they aren't as much as they should be, at what point is it appropriate to go over and say something to the parent/caregiver? If for any of these circumstances would it at some point be appropriate to go over and say something along the lines of "Excuse, but your son/daughter is being a bit aggressive with the other kids." Or, "Your son/daughter is trying to eat/drink our food."

What is the parent protocol with other kids and discipline. Is is appropriate if the parent isn't paying attention to their child to approach the child and tell them to stop their behavior or apologize? What are your thoughts. All of the circumstances above I didn't once approach any of the moms, but dealt (and I use that term loosely) with the child. Weather it be telling them that the toy they just took was Eli's toy he was playing with, or telling them we dont hit, or to be kind. Is this appropriate?

If your a mom of a more aggressive child, would it offend you if another parent came and approached you about your child if you weren't watching them as closely as you could be?

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Fill me in on how as a parent you handle these situations!

5 comments:

Kelly Stoski said...

I would suggest gently dealing with the child yourself, and if it continues (if you have to take action more than twice for example) then walk the child over to their parent and sweetly explain the situation. I think if you are super nice and try to be non-confrontational, if the other parent is offended then they have other issues :)
If thereof violence or a dangerous situation I would involve the parent immediately. I was once at McD's and saw a child repeatedly punching another child really hard. I did nit know these kids, but I didn't care. I loudly said 'Hey! Stop That!". I asked this child where their parent was (ordering food) and walked the child to the till and explained the situation to the parent. If I overstepped, I didn't care! I felt I was protecting the child who was being hit and all the other children in the playarea. In those cases I say go with your gut.
Kids today get away with bad behavior because their parents dont care and no one else wants to step in. I say, don't go with the crowd on this one. Trust your instinct, and stand up for the kids :)

Anderson Career Training Institute said...

I've enjoyed several visits to Little Beans with a little one and I agree it can be challenging to get him to agree to leave because it's so fun and friendly!

Wonderful baked treats & drinks, and I especially enjoy the playtime break where he can interact with other children. Bonus! There are several "regulars" we see there, so the children learn about each other week to week, month to month.

It's friendly, bright and busy at Little Beans, and of course little ones become boisterous when physically active. I believe it remains the responsibility of the parent to help guide their child's behaviour to ensure everyone is safe and playing appropriately.

If someone else's child was behaving in a way I felt endangered others, I would intervene to ensure safety first, then speak with the parent. Who knows, that parent may have been inattentive for a split second (who among us hasn't!). I do not assign blame, and I don’t assume the parent doesn’t care. I merely communicate my concern to make sure the parent is aware. How they deal with their child is their responsibility. But, if someone is at risk of being injured (and not merely offended), I intervene.

Otherwise, I like to let children attempt to solve things as best they can because I believe this teaches them they are capable and responsible.

The last thing we need is "helicopter parents" circling play areas, thus preventing children from learning they are capable and responsible for their choices and actions.

I love checking Little Bean’s Facebook page to see what flavour of muffin or soup I can plan to enjoy that day! And I look forward to many more hours of watching happy, playful children do what they do best - living in the moment.

Anonymous said...

I usually try to deal with the situation myself, ask the kid where their parent is, tell them to go stand by their mom/dad and of that doesn't work I do tell the parents what is going on.
When I deal with it myself I will bluntly tell the kid that hitting (or whatever behaviour they are doing) is mean and to stop.
You have to defend your kid's space and rights.

Anonymous said...

I personally take my kids to Sturgeon Valley Athletic Club. Mom's can visit in the coffee shop while their children play in a very qualified staff. And the structures are safe and unbelievably clean.

Anonymous said...

Ooops... Deleted too much when fixing a typo... "while their children play in a large play area (approx 2000 sq ft.) and are supervised by very qualified staff"...