Wednesday, June 27, 2012

37 Weeks Pregnant - Full Term

I am now considered full term. We could have this baby anytime now, and there wouldn't be concerns about me going into labor.

At my midwifery appointment on Monday, baby had flipped sides, so his back was on the right side, but he was sitting right on my pelvic brim. Not dropped, but sitting there. My midwife encouraged me to squat whenever possible to encourage him to move down, but she wasn't concerned about his position or how he is sitting. She said lots of women go into labor without their baby being dropped into their pelvis, and it doesn't make a difference. I was measuring at 38 weeks, however it could also be the position baby is sitting in, but so far everything seemed good.

Andy and I have been doing a lot of talking about our expectations for my labor & delivery and what my expectations are of him. How involved do I want him, what can he do to help me, how involved does he want to be, etc. On top of that, at 36 week appointment with my midwife, she talked to us about home birth vs. hospital birth and asked about why we had decided a hospital birth. When I first found out I was pregnant Andy was very uncomfortable with the idea of a midwife let alone with a home birth because of how things had gone with Eli's labor & delivery. But over the past nine months I guess thats changed. I had decided that if we did a hospital birth I would labor at home for as long as possible, and then when we thought delivery was close we'd then move to the hospital. With a midwife, after you have a baby, your only at the hospital for 3 or 4 hours after the baby is born, and then you head home. Seemed silly to me to drive to the hospital just to push out a baby and then turn around and come home. After a lot of discussion, and prayer as well we have decided that we're going to have a home birth. There have been many studies about home birth that show they're just as safe if not safer than a hospital birth. People say "oh your having a midwife/home birth?! Your brave! I knew someone that...." and so on. The way our midwife explained to us is that if there is a concern or emergency she's going to be monitoring me and watching me, as well as the baby and know that theres an issue long before it becomes an emergency. People also ask, "What if you need an emergency c-section?!" The same answer applies, if the baby isn't doing well, and for some reason we need to transfer Cathy will know long before it gets to the point of imminent surgery. Everyone has their own opinions on this case, but my one piece of advice is to get informed about home birth before you make a decision that its not safe. My midwife has also been delivering babies for more than 10 years! Thats a lot of babies. Im not saying that at home births things dont go wrong, but at the same time at hospital births things also go wrong too.

This week has been totally insane, and I havent stopped running around it feels like. Getting things ready to have a baby (especially now that we're doing it at home!!) which BTW I met with a girlfriend that I went to highschool with yesterday. She has 3 kids now, including a 5 week old (that she had at home, with the same midwife that we have!!) and she gave me all of their linens & towels that she didn't end up using for their labor & delivery!! This takes such a weight off my shoulders, and I feel so blessed that she was willing to just give them to me! Makes me feel like we're actually ready for a baby now... as ready as Ill ever be!! Thank you, sooooo much Holly! You have no idea how blessed I feel!! This morning I cleaned/tidied up the house, and then ran out to do some more errands.

Eli's sleep schedule has been a bit off, as he is growing out of naps, and since we've been so busy. He hasn't napped since Saturday, and is still going to bed/falling asleep around the same time... which is usually 8pm. But he is waking up around 6:20ish. As compared to the 7:00 or 7:30am he was doing a few weeks ago. Im wondering if he is maybe over tired and thats causing the issues. Today is a nap day, so we'll see what time bed time rolls around and what time he wakes up in the am! Maybe its just preparation for a baby, who knows!!

No comments: