Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Sweep & Non Stress Test

This morning my mom popped by to look after Eli for an hour while I went and met with Cathy again. I decided I wanted to have her attempt to sweep my membranes. She was able to do a partial sweep she said as my cervix is quite high. I had my membranes swept with Eli and I dont remember it being that painful. I suppose I asked for it. She said that my cervix is very soft, quite high, posterior and dilated about 2 cm's. My body is doing something, which I had a few signs of this morning before my sweep which I wont go into detail, but it wasn't my water breaking it was something else... that kind of has a gross name being lost... TMI?

We definitely had a great chat, and I really appreciate her wisdom. She has so much knowledge and wisdom! I know there are people out there who are following our journey as we wait for a baby who think that Im crazy for going this far over due, or having a home birth or midwifery care. I think what bothers me more than anything is that fact that if I went up to a woman who was having a hospital birth or was being induced at 40 weeks + 2 days, and question her choices she's making and was baffled by her decisions I would look like the snob. But since Im choosing to have a very hands off, non medicalized pregnancy and labor & delivery, its apparently fair game to question or state opinions. So many people have said to me "Oh a home birth!? Your so brave, what if something goes wrong?!" And I feel like screaming, "Oh a hospital birth? Your being induced!? What if something goes wrong?!" Its just extremely frustrating. There are countries in the world where dr's are not allowed to deliver, only midwives! k thats my rant for now.

Anyway, our plan of action at this point is to wait until Friday & if no baby has arrived then I will go back, she'll do another membrane sweep, and then also give me a herbal mixture which could help put me into labor. Like a natural induction. Then we continue to wait.

I went to the Lois Hole Hospital this afternoon for my Non stress Test. Our dear baby did beautifully!! He was moving and his heart rate looked incredible! Very healthy and appeared to be happy. Cathy had said I probably wouldn't speak to an obstetrician today, but I actually did end up getting to talk with one, who had a very open mind about midwifery care, and how he believes dr's induce too quickly. He said at this point going from my LMP (last menstrual period) Iam part of the 4% of women who are post dated. But he also told me about studies with women who went past 42 weeks, and their babies came out happy and healthy! It was also great because he checked to see if there was an ultrasound room available, popped me in, and took a look at my fluid levels & placenta quickly. He said as long as there is a pocket of fluid 3cm's, thats great. There was... actually there was a pocket of fluid that was about 5 cm's... more than enough fluid he said. He mentioned the placenta looked older, and I asked if that was a concern. He said no, my baby is older, so that makes sense. Apparently if my placenta looked like a rock, he'd be concerned, but he said everything looked well. I really appreciated him quickly doing that to make sure fluid levels and placenta was fine! He said he had no concerns, and to continue on waiting. Im going back on Saturday if we still dont have a baby for another NST (non stress test) to make sure all is well again.

Last night we met with our back up doula, and after meeting with her I feel much better, and not so anxious. She was easy to talk to, and just had a home birth not too long actually. So we'll see what happens. Im very confident she'll be great. We also ended up setting up the tub in our dining room, so its ready to go. Im hoping maybe having it set up will bring on labor, but at this point Im not sure of anything! It makes me feel comfortable though, and like Im way more ready to do this.

Alot of people keep commenting on how I must be so uncomfortable and how I must just want to be done with being pregnant. And while Im tired of my feet being swollen, and feeling heavy and like I cant bend over (oh wait I cant!!) Im enjoying this pregnancy at this point. I cant complain, and I feel blessed that we've had some extra time as a family of 3, and with Eli. It really has been a blessing!
So here is another weekly picture, and also a picture of our dining room/kitchen!!




No comments: